Tuesday, February 19, 2013

NOM NOM Paleo

Well the toughest thing for me during this transition is remembering what I can and can't eat...and then following it.

I've said it many times before, I L.O.V.E. food. It is instant gratification for me yet like most things that are instant it leaves me feeling bloated, yucky and just plain blah.

I am a meat, taters and bread girl. Seriously, if I could live off of steak and rolls I would.  The good news is I can have all the lean meat I want. Taters and bread ummmm not so much. The hubs and I buy a half a cow every year. I am spoiled to the deliciousness of fresh meat and when we went through a period of about 3 months waiting on the price of the cow to drop I felt so deprived. All it took was 3 months for us to realize that we would pay the higher price because the meat was 1000x better then that crap you buy in a store.

I do NOT like to cook. Baking I love, cooking not so much. So these fancy roasted duck with blah blah blah blah blah sauce does not appeal to me at all. After about 6 ingredients you've lost me, I've moved on.

SHE GONE

Oh how I can't wait for that show to come back on...9 days!

This weekend I found two recipes that sounded appealing and I had most of the ingredients already at home. For me they were both winners. The hubs was okay with both of them and he would eat them if I make them. Laniebug will eat anything...I mean anything, Kinley won't eat anything...nothing so this did not surprise me much.

The first was this delicious Salmon recipe. I made the homemade salad dressing and it was very yummy ad provided about half a mason jars worth so I will be able to use that for lunch this week. The Candied pecans would have been even more delicious had I not burnt them...the recipe says to be careful they burn easy...she wasn't kidding!!


The hubs like our original marinade for salmon better than this but the original recipe includes brown sugar and soy sauce...not on my list of things I can eat. The great thing is, in the future I can make both without too much extra effort.


After dinner that night I doubled this recipe for Meatballs and put about 8 in the crockpot for dinner on Sunday. I baked 8 more for my lunch for the week and the rest went into the freezer for when I need a quick meal.

I did not make my own sauce because as a couponer I have about 60 (not exaggerating) jars of Ragu. As much as I wanna do this diet I will not extend our grocery budget to make way for stuff that I already have an abundance of at home.

This is where I won't become 100% Paleo. I work full time, have two precious kiddos and have some mission work I am involved with...I just don't always have the time either to make my own stuff.

Hoping to try a couple more recipes this weekend. I'm most looking forward to the crab cakes so I'll let you know how those go next week!

~Mel


No comments:

Post a Comment